Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday, August 27

Hi Everyone:

Today (Saturday) was quite a busy day. We are still buying things for the apartment and teaching supplies. We went to an outdoor shopping center, while there it started raining, so went to an inside shopping center. Bought a couple of things then went out to flag a cab. Well,  since it was raining, all of China had the same idea. It was not a pretty sight. Our friends stayed on one side of the street and
us on the other. The first one that flagged a cab, the others would come running. Time went by and no cabs would stop. Finally I saw a cab that was empty, but he wasn't about to stop. Last time I was here, I learned how to stop a cab. I went out in front of him and which ever way he tried to turn, I turned also and stayed in front of him. He came to a screeching halt and mom jumped in. I stayed in front of him until the other couple jumped in. After they all got in, I darted for the front door and he took off. Big dip stick. Lucky for me, about a half a block down the road he had to stop for a stop light. I ran as fast as I could and beat the light. I opened the cab door and jumped in. He was not happy, but, oh well, neither was I. I cussed him out all of the way back to the apartment. When we arrived at the guard gate, he refused to go inside the gate, so we refused to get out. We would out wait him. Finally he saw we were not getting out of the cab, so he went inside and spoke to the guard. I don't know what he said, but the guard motioned for us to get out. Not to be out done, I pulled out my Arizona Drivers Licence and flashed it in front of the guard and yelled at him. He looked like he had the fear of God pushed into him. He saluted me and motioned us through the gate. The cabbie then took us to our apartment. The bill was a little less than 21 yuan, a little over three dollars. I gave him 21 yuan and told him to keep the change. Actually  I tipped him 6 cents. Just another day in China.

Well, I went back to a market that had some American food. I found some corn flakes. I never eat corn flakes, but by now, I am not so hard to please. The box of American corn flakes cost me ten dollars. I think I will start importing corn flakes. I buy them in America for a buck fifty. I bought some heavy whipping cream for mother to put on the corn flakes and came home. For a quart of whipping cream,
the cost was under a dollar. That's a switch from America.

We went to an outdoor market that had several little outdoor restaurants. It smelled pretty good, but I couldn't figure what was in the stuff they were cooking. We decided to give something a try. It was some kind of fried noodles with  something like cabbage in it. It wasn't bad. After I have been here a while longer, I really won't be so hard to please.

Well, I hope you all have a good night sleep.  It is 3:45 A. M. your time.   (California and Arizona) an hour later for Minnesota. I love you all.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment