Friday, August 26, 2011

August 25, 2011

Hello all:

Well, I thought I would give you an update as to the happenings here. The flight on the way over was fine. The food was good, except Paula would not eat her sushi which was served at every meal.   I wasn't so hard to please and I ate mine and hers. We stayed on Seoul Tuesday evening and flew to Tianjin on Wednesday. We were picked up at the airport by 4 college professors. They each bowed to me. I have finally received the respect that I have so long deserved. (the bowing) When we arrived at the university, the guard would not let us in because the professors didn't have the right documents.   That meant we would have to walk three long blocks with 6 pieces of luggage. I remembered a way to get in. I pulled out my AZ driver's license. I flashed it to the guard and he waved us through. He even stood at attention and saluted me. Well, more respect. As we passed the last guard, I showed him my AZ license, he stood at attention and saluted me again. Now I think that I am an honorary member of the party. More respect.

We arrived safely at out apartment. It was nice. We unpacked and I realized that I didn't pack any socks. Well, I used the same pair two days in a row, then went to Carrefore and bought more socks.   They were more like ladies nylons, but what the heck, this is China. We unpacked the rest of our stuff only to find out we needed a few more things. We went to Carrefore and bought a router a printer and some ink. Now I must find someone who speaks English and who also can work on computers.

Finally the school send a young man over to our apartment to hook up the computers etc.  He hooked up the computers and the router. He refused to hook up the printer because that was not in his work description. I called the lady in charge and she confirmed what he said. She said she would contact another union and send someone to hook up the printer. Well, the computer guy bowed to me and hit the road. I bowed back and gave him a See's Chocolate.

I went to the bike shop to buy a three wheeler. The guy had moved and I could not locate him. I found a guy who looked like and American and asked his if he spoke English. He said yes, even though he was a Russian,  I asked him to ask where the last guy went. He asked and I found that he had only moved three doors down. Wow, my lucky day. I found the guy and ordered the bike. He wanted 2800 Yuan, but I negotiated for 2600 Yuan. A little over $400.00. Again my lucky day. I had brought another teacher with me and he bought one also. On the way home, I went down a one way street, the wrong way. Scared this guy to death. He was yelling something at me, and I don't think it was very complimentary.  There were three lanes going one way and we were going down the middle against traffic. The cars were honking and I waved to my fans, but my companion  was not overly happy. He
said that he was not going with me again. Well, I guess he will have to find his own way around from now on.

Yesterday we visited with the department head of the English Department. He gave us our classes and class schedules.  I teach two classes of excelled calculus, two classes of excelled pharmaceutical students and two classes of applied something or the other. Boy they got this all wrong, I never even took Calculus or Pharmaceutical stuff in school.

I tried to park my bike in the usual place, but got kicked out. I even pulled a Scott and 100 yuan didn't work, so I waited for him to leave and I parked there anyway. He should have taken the yuan because I parked there anyway.

Well, I've got to go give some stuff to the lady in charge. She needs our passport and some photos.  She may want to discuss the bike parking arrangements, or the lack thereof. I guess I will wait and see. It is time for lunch but mother isn't excited to eat any more Chinese food, so I may be eating corn flakes again. Well, better than nothing. Have a great day.

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment