Friday, September 30, 2011

Hi Everyone:
 
Well, it is Friday evening here and we are getting ready to go on  weeks vacation to Central and Western China.  We leave tomorrow morning at 11:00 .  This was my first full week of teaching and it went very well.
 
Yesterday, we were invited to attend a Government celebration of 62 years of the Chinese Communist Party.   It was really a celebration.  Flowers for ever more and more Government dignitaries than you can count.   We we asked to sit next to the party leaders.  We go toasted (with their wine and our orange juice) at least 100 times.  Their wine glasses kept being filled up and our orange juice glasses kept being filled up.   At the end, we were more sober than they were.  There was tons of food and snacks.  In the end, they presented to us a large picture book of China and specifically Tianjin China.  I'm still not quite sure why we were invited but it was nice.   As we came in the door, they saluted us and bowed to us.  I guess I am finally getting the recognition that I have so long deserved.   No one ever salutes to me or bows to me at home.   When I got ready for bed last night, I saluted mother and bowed to her.   She didn't salute back.   No respect.
 
It is getting cold here.  The high today was about 55 F.   We each had to wear a sweater.  My Chinese students are really smart.   They write and understand English, much better than they speak English.  I told them a joke today, no one laughed.   I guess they don't appreciate Western humor.  It was a good joke too.
 
I try to go out for a one hour walk everyday.   I usually get it in.  My neighbor from SLC usually walks with me.  I am going to start going to the pool and swim, now that it is getting colder.  I have found a new breakfast that I like here.  It is two bananas and a glass of Chinese sweet milk.   Very delicious.  The longer that I have been away from America, the better the Chinese food tastes.   Today I had some cold vegetables with vinegar on them and some fried rice.  Was pretty good.  Like I said the longer I am gone from America, the better the food here tastes.  We are now starting to enjoy Chinese television shows.  I never thought that would happen.   When they laugh, I laugh.
 
Last Saturday we went to Beijing for the day.  We shopped fpr Winter clothing.  Those people must thing I am dumber than I look.  I was looking for a Winter coat.  They started at 2500 Yuan ($690.00)   I laughed.   They said "it is a good buy, just ask my partner."  I asked her partner and she confirmed it was a god buy.   I confirmed it was a good buy for them, but not for me.  I said "no thank you" and started walking off.   She yelled, "come back, I will give you a better price.  How much better?  2450 Yuan.   I offered her 50 yuan, $8.00.  She said "your joking"  I said, "no, you are joking."  she acted insulted, I start walking off.  "Come back Come back"  "How much"  I said.  2400 Yuan, I offered her 40 yuan.  Two dollars less than last time.  I said. "look you Ding Bat, you're trying to rip me off."  She doesn't understand.   Good thing.  I finally tell her my final price is 250 yuan, no more.  She laughs, I laugh.  She says "no way" I say good by.   She says "come back"   I say "take a hike"   She says" OK, OK"  I say "OK what".  I walk off.  She chases me down the hall with the coat, she says "OK".  I give her 250 Yuan  $39.00 and walk off with my new purchase.  I now have a new genuine knockoff Northface Winter coat.  That is the process of bargaining all day in Beijing.   Finally I have had enough and it is time to go for dinner.   We eat pizza and  try to go back to the Beijing South Railway Station.   Well. now I have a problem.   I have 8 people with me and can't find the Chinese words to tell the taxi drivers to take us to the train station.  Lucky for me, I have the telephone number in my phone of my Chinese partner, Marvin.   He lives 4000 miles away.  I call Marvin and tell him the problem.  He says, "no problem"  let me talk to the taxi driver.   I hail down two cabs and give each one the cell phone.   Marvin speaks with them and off we go.  We made it OK.
 
We had Bishopric meeting on Tuesday.   Much different than in the States, but much more efficient.  We held it via video conferencing.  The four of us.   Our Bishop was in Taiwan, I was here in Tianjin and the Second Counselor was in Tongu.   We got through very quickly.   You can get things done much faster that way than wasting time talking about nothing.   It lasted about 45 minutes.  After Bishopric meeting, I met with all of the Young Single Adults from our ward.  6 of them.   I say, "I will take you all out for dinner for our activity".  They like that.  I take them to the Chinese restaurant in our hotel.   It is closed, we go to another one, it is closed also.  It is 8:30 P. M.  Now, I know that the only one open that is close is TGIF.  We walk there.   The prices there are very high.  They haven't had an American meal for months.   They go for it.  When it is over, I am out $250.00.  No reimbursement from the ward.   They vote to have an activity every week.   I veto it.   I say once a month.   They agree, but decide to meet among themselves once a month also.  I bet they don't go to TGIF.
 
Well, not a whole lot more going on here.   I hope you have a great day.   I love you all.
 
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment